Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Screw Ups

So today is Halloween. For most people, Halloween means getting dressed up as some kind of alter ego and, depending on your age, walking door-to-door in an attempt to fill a sack with candy, have an excuse to throw a party, or go out and about spreading mischief. For me, this year Halloween took on a whole new spin.

Each year, the powers that be in the SC get together to decide when to have the actual trick-or-treat night. Since October 31st falls on a Sunday this year, it was decided to have trick-or-treat night on Thursday. Why Thursday you ask? Well, Saturday night was the Penn State and Michigan football game and I guess people thought it would be a bad idea to send small children out for candy on one of the busiest weekends of the year.

There aren’t many kids that live in my neighborhood and I had been told that no one shows up looking for candy so I didn’t think much of the actual trick-or-treat night. What happened next will have a significant impact on every Halloween that occurs from here on out. As the sun started going down I noticed the streets filling up with kids going door-to-door looking for candy. This wouldn’t normally be a big deal, but there I was, sitting at home with not a single piece of candy in site. Reaching this disastrous conclusion I did what any respectable homeowner would do.

Recalling my childhood training, I began running around the house turning out all the lights. As any good kid knows, you don’t go to a house that is dark because they don’t have candy. Usually this means they are not home, but in my case it meant that I was afraid to have anyone come to the door. There I sat, in a pitch dark house for the allocated two hours of trick-or-treat night. It was highly embarrassing but at least next year I’ll be prepared to hand out candy.

1 comment:

Lucy Delaney said...

no candy in your home? i may come to PA just to chuck an egg at you.