Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ready or Not…

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’m racing (and I use the term very loosely) in the Wilderness 101 next weekend. I’m now officially six days away from the start on July 31st. Part of me is very excited while another part of me is a bit nervous. The problem is, I’m not entirely convinced that I’m ready to embark on this trip aboard the pain train.

In less than a week, I’ll be putting it all out on the fire roads and single track of the Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forests for one hundred miles of mountain biking bliss. I like to think I’m a relatively fit individual; however I haven’t had as much time as I would like to train for the event. I think I have the mental capacity to push through the suffering, but I’m not entirely convinced about the physical part.

There are many different factors that will affect my performance from my bike to the what I eat, to how I sleep the night before, to the weather, to trail conditions, and just about anything else. With any luck, everything will go according to plan and I’ll finish in a respectable time (hopefully in daylight). How I feel afterwards will be another story. Maybe I’ll have a full report next Sunday, but then again, I might be too tired to get out of bed or even walk for that matter. Tune in next week to get a full report (or not).

1 comment:

Betty said...

Good luck Eric! We'll be pulling for you and sending good karma your way all day. Since we'll be pre-riding 3-4, just let me know if you need us to leave a stash of hookers and blow somewhere along the trail to motivate you.