Sunday, July 18, 2010

Back To Reality

Well, our week of “Take the family to the beach” has finally ended and I’m safely back in the SC. A lot happened over the past week and, quite frankly, there is almost too much to talk about. It was one wild roller coaster ride that took us from singing songs one minute to full-on hysterical crying the next. We played mini-golf, celebrated two birthdays, played games, visited three boardwalks, enjoyed a lukewarm hot-tub, watched a house get completely framed next door, ate too much, drank too much, and somehow still managed to find time to get to the beach at least once every day (well, I did at least).

There were lots of good times and lots of bad times. There were a few occasions where I felt like packing up my car and looking for a hotel. After all, this was a complete departure from the “swinging single” life I lead in my day-to-day where I’m in control of what’s happening. I did take a break from the family to get a surfboard and meet some friends at Assateague Island so I could really get my ass handed to me by the ocean, but that was more about surfing than an escape. Of course it went a long way to making things easier when I returned to a house of crying children (and one or two adults).

Will I do it all again in another two years? If you asked me in a week I’d probably say 80/20 no way. Over time, however, the not-so-good events will fade away and I’ll only remember the enjoyable ones; those shining moments when the laughter was louder than the cries. Everyone will be a little older and hopefully a bit more civilized. While the question of a repeat performance is for another day in the distant future, a week on the sand in a boozy haze surrounded by bikini clad women will go a long way to influencing that answer.

No comments: