Sunday, June 27, 2010

Progress

This past weekend a major hurdle was crossed in the on-going saga that is my yard. Ever since I bought my house almost a year ago I’ve been continually working to provide a bit more curb appeal by clearing out some much neglected landscaping (and I use the term landscaping very loosely). The previous owners of my home were, how you say, not the most conscientious when it came to maintaining the yard and the growth. One severely unruly area was my side yard.

The side yard consisted of a thick growth of plants, shrubs, volunteer trees, vines, leaf litter, and just about anything else that you can imagine. It was about ten feet high about 100 feet long, and about ten feet wide. It blocked out all the light from my backyard as it was too thick to see through. At first I started trying to prune it but decided it would be easier to cut it all down, which I eventually did. Of course, the site prep (including stump removal, adding soil to fill holes, removing rocks, killing off weeds, etc.) kept me occupied for the past 11 months.

This past weekend it was time to replant the space with more appropriate vegetation to provide interest, color, and some light screening. Of course none of it would have been possible without the help of my brothers who know a thing or two about landscaping and plants. I gave them full control to select plants and provide guidance on placement and layout. My role was to pay for everything and chauffeur them around to get everything they said I needed.

In one full days time we managed to take a blank canvas and convert it to what will hopefully be a manageable and lush bed of fresh plants and grasses. While I personally am superbly happy with the way things turned out and how everything looks, I was getting additional validation from my neighbors passing by. Now I’ll have the rest of the summer to work on the numerous other projects on my list.

No comments: