Sunday, June 20, 2010

As Old As You Feel

This past weekend I made yet another return trip to my boy-hood home. This time it was for the wedding of a family friend. I haven’t seen the groom or his family since his sister got married four years ago so I decided to attend. Also, the majority of my family was going too so I felt some degree of obligation.

The ceremony was as expected. It was an outdoor wedding and it was crazy hot but it was short and soon everyone retired to an air conditioned room for the reception. On the walk to the reception hall I heard a familiar voice calling my name. It was an old friend from high school that I probably haven’t seen in ten years. Apparently his wife was friends with the bride which is why he was in attendance.

For a little back story, after graduating from high school I split town and attended college at Iowa State University. It was as far as I could get away where I still knew people that could help me out if I needed it (I have relatives in Iowa). After graduating from Iowa State, I moved to Georgia for work. This little jaunt around the country took about ten years of my life. During this chapter of my life I didn’t get back to my old stomping grounds very often. Most everyone else I grew up with stayed close by the ‘burg or have moved back.

As we reminisced about old times, I also got an update on who was doing what and where people were. As it turns out, most of the people I grew up with are now married and have kids that keep them on the move. I began comparing this to my life: I’m still single, living by myself, and spend all my free time adventuring with my friends. At first I began to feel as though I had missed out on something or wasn’t being “responsible.” Then I realized it was quite the opposite.

I might be doing things differently but I'm enjoying myself just as much. The way he made things sound was that all my fellow high school classmates were all old married couples. The funny thing is, I don’t consider myself old even though I’m the same age. I guess it’s all about perspective and from where I’m sitting, things are going just fine.

No comments: