Sunday, March 15, 2009

Vacation & Health; Part II

I don’t consider myself a liar but in my last post I may have stretched the truth a bit. I said something about getting back out and getting into some fresh powder while enjoying the last few days of my New Mexico vacation. I was wrong.

The bottom line is I got my ass handed to me. I thought I’d be able to rally from my cocktail of illnesses and get some more riding in but that was not the case. Instead, I got to spend the last three days of my vacation in the town of Taos. Honestly, that’s not as exciting as it sounds. Taos is at a mild elevation (about 6,900 feet) compared to Taos Ski Valley (where the actual slopes are) at about 9,500 feet so while there was no place to use a snowboard, it was better on my lungs and elevation sickness. Even though I didn’t want to spend my days in Taos, I didn’t really have a choice.

Each morning was a struggle for me to get out of bed. After spending the better part of the night coughing and puking, I would wake up (from the minimal sleep I managed to get) with a ridiculously painful headache, nasty fever, and nauseated feeling in my stomach. It was difficult to stand up and I would get winded walking up or down stairs. I figured my only options were spending the days in Taos or in a hospital so I chose Taos. Besides, it was on the way to the Ski Valley so I could get dropped off while my friends went on to make fresh tracks.

Yes it sucked. Yes I still feel terrible. Yes I missed out on the freshies at a world class ski location. Yes I was pissed off that I was sick. In the end however, the rest of my friends stayed healthy and didn’t have any issues. I guess if someone had to “take one for the team” I glad it was me. They all got to spend an amazing time on the slopes getting worked and I got to hear all about it.

1 comment:

Betty said...

I can't believe you posted that picture of Scott shoveling snow! Nice.