Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Great Vacation Sham

As my loyal readers know I was just recently on vacation. A vacation, by definition, is a break from work where you’re suppose to rest, relax, recreate, or do whatever you want. It’s a chance to leave your normal nine to fiver behind and spend time doing something of your choosing. That’s all well and good, but I’ve recently discovered a major flaw with this approach. Work doesn’t stop while you’re on vacation; you just stop doing work.

Every time I return from a vacation I inevitably say, “I could really use another vacation.” This is usually because the amount of work waiting for me when I return is double what it would have been had I not taken my vacation in the first place. It seems like a rather back-handed reward for spending time away trying to relax and leave your normal responsibilities behind.

I don’t know, maybe I’m over thinking this, maybe I’m being unrealistic, or maybe I’m finally coming to the conclusion that the world doesn’t revolve around me and everything continues even when I choose to take a break for a little while. Whatever the case may be, here are some additional pictures from the big trip to New Mexico. I’d like to write more, but I need to get back to work.

No comments: