Sunday, May 8, 2011

Four or More

Finally, after long last, we had a break from the cold and the weather stayed above sixty for several days in a row. Not knowing how long this show of meteorological goodness would last, I decided to make the most of it and ride bikes. I wasn’t going to be particular and wanted to give my mountain bike and road bike some much needed attention.

It all started with a day off of work on Thursday. Fortunately, it was Cathy’s birthday so I had a good excuse to not go to work. Of course any excuse would have been okay with me. After a filling breakfast Cathy, Brian, Frank, and I went into Cooper’s Gap for some of the sweetest single-track on the east coast. The weather was ideal for riding trails and the conditions were phenomenal.

Friday I was back at the office for the day but made plans to ride some of the neighborhood trails with Jeremy and his dog. These trails are practically in my backyard so getting there takes all of about two minutes but they provide a solid hour of continuous single-track without riding the same trails twice. It’s just one of the many advantages to living in the Heights. We only rode for about any hour but it was a spirited pace that wore me out.

Saturday was more of the same. Jeremy and I took the dog out again for another loop at the short-track which is only about a five minute bike ride from the house. We were almost done with our first loop on the trails when the sky opened up and a cold rain started to fall hard. It was almost painful to ride back home but the rain felt good on the warm afternoon. Fortunately we managed about an hour of riding before calling it a day.

Sunday I decided to switch it up and get on the road bike to spin for a few hours. I tried to find people to ride with me but no one was available. I was okay with that and set out towards Spruce Creek. It was a glorious day with sun and just enough wind to be annoying. I ended up riding for almost three hours and gave my legs a healthy workout.

The interesting thing about the past four days is that I think it’s the first time I’ve ever ridden on four consecutive days. I’d like to keep this trend going and see how many days in a row I can ride because I’ve missed being on a bike, of any kind. There’s something oddly relaxing about turning over pedals and using my own power to go places, even if it is just to get me back home. I don’t know if I have the legs to keep this up, but it’ll sure be nice to try.

No comments: