Sunday, November 14, 2010

Top Drawer

This weekend I got to experience something in the SC that I’ve never done before. I was fortunate enough to get all fancied up and attend a gallery opening, for actual art, by real-life artists. Now I realize this might not be a big deal for some people out there but for me, in my little world, this was a first. See, I’ve never been invited to a gallery opening (or any kind of opening for that matter). While some people around here like to think that we’re an upper-crust cosmopolitan town that competes with New York and Los Angeles as a hub of cultural activity, the truth is that State College is an odd oasis in the middle of forests and farms that manages to attract a few tidbits of civility from time-to-time. That made this past weekend’s opening that much more special.

The opening at ion was an invitation only event which added to the air of sophistication. Also, because I knew one the artists I felt even more significant (but clearly that didn’t get me anywhere). Upon arrival, I glad-handed with the few other well-dressed individuals that I knew and set out to browse the various artistic mediums that were represented; all of which were for sale.

Very quickly, a few things dawned on me. First, I had no idea what I was looking at. I realize that art is subjective and means different things to different people but let’s be honest; I have no worldly idea about art. Eventually though, I began to recognize why I most likely don’t know anything about art: the price. While I don’t doubt the time, energy, and talent that is required to develop some of the items I was looking at, I most certainly wouldn’t be dropping two large for a chair that I may or may not be able to sit on. Regardless of my own personal shortcomings in the art-world, it was still nice to feel like a bon vivant and see some of my friends dressed in something other than a chamois.

No comments: